Saturday, October 25, 2008

awake at 5 a.m. ...on a Saturday

OK what is with my internal time clock? Seriously. I guess I have to come to terms with that fact that I am indeed a morning person. I've fought it for years. It's sooo much cooler to be a night owl. Especially when you are at parties or visiting friends. Because when 9 p.m. rolls around and you are fighting off the yawns and sleepy eyes while everyone else is just getting going for the night, it feels quite rude.


Anyway, in the wee hours of morn while waiting for the sun to come up so I can get a good picture of the monkeys, I came across this blog. Which suggests that we all have a Corporate Free Christmas by hand making Christmas gifts this year. I do like this idea. However I do want to state that I do not completely agree with banning Christmas shopping all together. I know that Christmas time for small businesses is a very profitable season. And I want to support the little guy. I say this because though spending beyond our means is ridiculously out of control, a lot of us little guys are supported by the general population's daily wants and needs.


I recently heard a podcast from Bethel Church about how there has been a growing negative attitude toward the upper class and the mega rich and their spending habits. Like spending ridiculous amounts on vacations, extravagant houses, gardening services, cars, dining,...etc., but think about it. They are actually providing an income for others, like servers, mechanics, gardeners, contractors, labors, etc. A good portion of my husband's income is provided by the upper class need for good dog trainers and we are so appreciative there is even a market for this.


So again, while I agree we as low and mid-income Americas must stop spending money we don't have, I don't fully support that we stop shopping altogether. I totally support the idea though that we get back to the basics of gift giving from the heart. Whether it's handmade or supporting the local, small businesses rather than the corporate giant big box stores (don't get me started on that whole issue -- I have a hard time shopping at Walmart anymore after I saw this documentary). I want to stop spending on thoughtless and obligatory gifts.


OK now that that rants is out there here's a picture of the monkeys! Together at last.




2 comments:

Raelynn said...

i liked all of your 5 am thoughts. it was good food for thought. not that i'm anti "the man" or anything. i just think we need a well rounded view on both sides of the spectrum.

and i love the monkey's. i may have to have you teach me when i'm in slc next!

Marnie said...

Well said. I hope to whip out some hand made gifts this year. But I will still get out and shop too.

I can't sleep in either, even if I stay up way late. Mornings are great though. But night time is fun too.