Wednesday, March 25, 2009

lilacs in the snow


I took this photo last week. It's a lilac bud from my lilac bush. It was 73 degrees that day. Today its about 36 degrees and we woke up to 4 inches, and counting, of SNOW! I'm trying to stay positive because we do need the water.

In the meantime I've been enjoying the lilac scented soap my mom and I made on Saturday. It's a blend of olive oil, coconut oil, and shea butter. I can't use it just yet though. It has to cure for about a month (3 months for superior lather). But the smell is filling our home with Spring!

Doesn't it look like white chocolate fudge or a cream cheese treat? I think today I'll make a goat's milk, oatmeal, honey blend soap. The goat's milk I picked up from a local goat dairy. I love it because all the goats have names! Next time I'll try to get a picture of them. They are just hilarious.

My james thinks I'm crazy because I dream of living on a small working farm with a goat, a few sheep, some bunnies, maybe a cow and 4 or 5 chickens. Why is that crazy, you ask? Well, I'm severely allergic to any animals with fur. But I can handle it, I think. I grew up living with cats and we have 2 dogs-only one I'm really allergic to mind you (Sebastian has hair, not fur). I'm accustom to living on decongestants and antihistamines. Dimetapp and I became good friends when I was little. I think I could maybe survive a season of farm life experience.

Aida update: We've made a few batches of my "Becca's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies" since she's been in time-out. Most were given away but a few were eaten and a much welcomed treat.

5 comments:

Marnie said...

A little farm to live on would be great. Did you go to the goat farm off of Redwood Rd? Good job with the saop making.

becca said...

Yes! The Drake Family Farm. I'll send you some soap if you'd like. I just make the honey, oatmeal, goat milk one yesterday. It smells so good!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You make your own soap? That's awesome!

... you know if one day zombies attack or we live in a post-apocalyptic society devastated by nuclear fallout, that will be an indispensable skill. ;)

Seriously though, that's way cool.

becca said...

As long as I can get my hands on lye and fat, we will forever be clean. Actually I wouldn't really want to get my hands on lye because it caustic, but you know what I mean :)

Rebecca said...

you must be the perfect woman, becca. you even make your own soap? that pic looks so good, i wish you had the internet version of smell-o-vision, tho :)