Sunday, June 7, 2009

backyard tour (warning: it's a long tour, you may want to bring snacks)


Since we've been back from Lake Powell, we've been working like crazy to get the backyard in shape. And it's paid off, because now all we have to do is put gravel down (free! thanks to a neighbor) in the garden walkway, build a gate into the garden because Big D keeps getting in there and digging (insert a spewing of cussing here), get and keep the grass in shape, and my james needs to finish the big get-electricity-to-the-pond project. But other than that, we have made some good progress.

This is looking from our back porch. Next year's project is to do something with that unsightly cinder block wall. Ideas would be much appreciated. No more Virgina Creeper though--she is way too invasive. James wants to paint it, but really, what color do you paint it and it not be competing with the rest of the backyard for a focal point? I say big grasses, some wall art, and maybe a hammock over there. Other idea? Move the dog kennel to that area. I say no way. You can see we've gone the rounds on this issue.


My parents painstakingly made that cute little birdhouse that I have yet to find a spot for. I say painstakingly because it was suppose to be a simple project with leftovers from some shelves they made us (more on those below), but it ended up quite the project due to lack of materials, or so I'm told.

And big news in the SFG...Thanks to my dad and to the Riverton irrigation water, we now have a very efficient drip system for our garden and front yard planter boxes. How did this come about you ask? Well, my parents live in Riverton and after setting up a very elaborate maze of miles and miles of tubing and nozzles around their yard and deck, my dad noticed he couldn't keep the thing working to it's potential due to their debris-and-mineral-filled irrigation water. Thus, we became the grateful recipients of a fancy drip system for all our dripping needs! This, I know, will be the savior of my veggies and flowers. They too are grateful.



Here's the garden area on the south side of the house. Hard to see, but we have modified the trellis on the first box. It wasn't tall enough and we added nylon netting which is much stronger than twine.The two empty boxes are for next year. I don't think I can keep up with 4 boxes yet.

The upper left box is the new home for basil, my infant cucumbers (hardening off as I type), more bush beans and carrots, a Sugar Baby watermelon, Patty Pan squash and maybe I'll try some more lettuces and onions, kind of late I know. The trellis was made from conduit from my brother-in-law who is an electrician. Re-purposing is awesome. We'll see how that box fairs though. Bosco has dug it up twice already after I had just planted it (insert more cussing here)!

The bark/mulch covering all the unsightly weeds, is from the dump. Yep, the dump sells compost, small bark chips, and large bark chips. $15 for a truckload. Beautiful. Unfortunately, it comes with the smell of the dump. But for that price we can deal with it as we did last year. Actually it's not that bad and it fades after a while.

And yes, hanging on the fence back there is the famous Topsy Turvy as-seen-on-t.v. tomato planter. And yes, from my mom (As you can see, my amazing parents have contributed a lot to this backyard. I should make a plaque at the entrance saying, "Special thanks to the founding sponsors of our backyard oasis - mom & dad"). I have a Better Boy tomato plant planted in it. I'll keep you posted as to his progress.

Below is a Beefmaster tomato in planter. Obviously, I did not start him from seed. But he is loved the same.

My mom helped me with this section of the yard. She bought us two bushes and the flowers and helped me dig out all the weeds and such. The Clematis was from a planter the previous owners had left. The makeshift fence is, again, to keep Big D out of it until we can get some real fencing (no cussing here because he has yet to get into this one). Dad made 2 shelves out of some old barn wood to hang on each side of the Clematis. Haven't hung those yet though. We're still trying it figure out a way to do so without having screws poke through on the neighbors side.

So, now we can relax and I'll have some time to play with soap and yarn and fabric and of course my dear friend, Aida. Oh and I'll probably need to give the house a good cleaning. It's pretty bad when your yard is cleaner than your house. Good thing we live and entertain outside during the Summer.

If you aren't bored by now and still have some snacks, here are more randoms and close-ups of our backyard beauties.


Not sure what this bush is. We lost the tag. Please do tell if you happen to know.

Pincushions in the upper planter box above the pond.

I believe this is some sort of succulent, also by the pond.

One of my favorite spots in the yard, again thanks to mom. This is a pot of succulents planted the first Summer we were here. That little egg is a robin's egg. I found it behind the pot with a little opening it's previous inhabitant crawled out of.

Geranium. Also near the pond.


The ever popular petunia. Reminds me of the song..."I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch, an onion patch..."- the Imogen Heap version. I should have planted her amongst my onions.

Some weird sprinkler alarm that was found under all that bothersome Virgina Creeper (Can you tell I'm not too fond of the V.C.?). The oil can is from my grandpa's "collection".

Thanks for touring with me. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Mom and dad, I'll see what I can do about getting the plaque made--oh and it's not a hint for you to actually show up on our doorstep with one.
Readers, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did.

5 comments:

Joel said...

Whoa! Your backyard is freaking tight!

Jamie said...

It looks amazing Becca - WELL DONE!!! We planted tomatoes in a Topsy turby too - we will see how it goes :) It looks fabulous!!!

Rebecca said...

V wanted a topsy turvy tomato planter but I callously said 'no' because it is an 'as seen on tv' product but now I'll have to concede and tell her it's ok. It looks kinda cute hanging on your fence. Lovely flowers, btw.

Marnie said...

I love it! You guys have done such a good job. Wish I could be there in person.

becca said...

Thanks everyone! It's been hard work and I'm glad we got a lot done before all this rain! Though now I'm worried about the veggies. They haven't seen sun in days :( Their growth seems stunted.
Rebecca, I was skeptical about the Topsy Turvy, too but it seems like a pretty good product!