Monday, May 18, 2009

home again, home again, jiggity jig

We're back from our muchly anticipated, week long vacation to Lake Powell with our bestest friends Lance and Lisa (and the best vacation buddies). Here a brief recap and some pictures that just don't do it justice.

Lake Powell was well worth the scrimping and saving and calorie counting and the seemingly endless days of waiting for it to get here. Every time I go to LP, I am amazed by the beauty and grandeur of Southern Utah. God is quite creative when it comes to landscaping. What a treasure he has created.

Our first day was spent hauling stuff onto the boat and heading to our destination up the Escallante arm. We stopped in Willow Canyon for the first few days and then were in Davis Gulch the last few days. The heat was awful the first day. None of us slept. But by the next day our bodies acclimatize and it was great.

In Willow Canyon we found this ominous carved out cave with a sandy beach. It was pretty neat, but it felt rather depressing (due to it being in the shade for most of the day) and like something spiritually was not right in there. Lisa said she felt like she was inside and wanted to go out and play. I think it was just plain creepy. Maybe it was due the pirates who were camping there the previous night. They were deemed the pirates because they flew a pirate flag from their houseboat and had satellite dishes staked in the sand which were most probably obtained by pillaging the luxury boats of the lake-- I digress. Anyway, we stayed two nights there and left for Davis Gulch the next day.


In Davis we found the best spot. Great for floating on Queenie and Turtie (the names Lisa and I deemed our rafts) because the water was a bit warmer. It had a bit of a beach and a great place for "Cornhole"--an addictive, oddly named game that the L's introduced us to. Check it out here. I promise the link is safe.


After two and a half bottles of 50+ sunscreen, lots of good beers (though I only had 3 total the entire trip--the rest was consumed by my boatmates), many plays of the Conchords on the iPod, Cornhole challenges, star gazing from the top deck, getting caught up on the mysterious story of Everett Ruess who's body was found after missing for 75 years concidently just weeks before we arrived in Davis Gulch, several hints trying to convince Lisa that I do not dance and that I really had no desire to do a photo shoot after days of no makeup and grimy hair, many attempts of trying to get Sebastian to enjoy the water, soaking up the sun and fresh air, and just downright lazing about--I truly feel refreshed. A week away from the "matrix," as Lance would say, was worth it.

Here are a few more picts that I just can't leave out:

(Though he didn't enjoy swimming I think Sebastian dug his life jacket. He didn't seem to mind wearing it when not in the water.)


(I thought this was a cool picture. It's Lisa and I "dancing" around the fire. It was totally posed though. As stated above, I did not partake in the dancing. Lisa is the dance queen and I dare not attempt to match her skill.)


(This is how we all felt at the end of each day. A sign of good times with good friends in a good place.)


5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time in spite of the Lake Powell pirates.....

Is Aida back in b'niss, again? ;)

becca said...

Funny you asked about Aida. I'm actually letting her come play tonight because I'm making "Becca's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies" for my bro-in-law's birthday :) How did you know??

Rebecca said...

I'm on a diet and am suffering, so naturally my mind wandered to Aida and your culinary creations. If you love me, you'll send some of those Becca's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies right on over :)

becca said...

Nice blatant manipulation with the, "if you love me" bit :) OK so it worked, Aida and I shall make you some soonly :) Oh it was such a challenge today to only eat just ONE. Ahhhh! I made my BIL take ALL of them home. Actually he had to pry them from my hands. What torture! What madness! Ok I'm fine. Just a little withdraw going on.

Rebecca said...

I'm glad my blatant manipulation worked. Anything for home-made cookies ;)