Saturday, December 20, 2008

a sigh and a prayer

As of an hour ago, I'm officially finished with all gift making, purchasing and wrapping. Whew! We cut way back again this Christmas (we really don't even have a tree) both out of necessity and intentionality. Remember this post where I mentioned a Corporate Free Christmas? Surprisingly it has been an enjoyable experience. My goal was to hand-make most, if not all of the gifts this year. I'd say it was about 70% handmade. I have some great ideas for next year though. Maybe I'll make the 100% mark in 2009.



Now I'm focusing on the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at our church -- frantically trying to learn the complex melodies to Kathy's Christmas Rhyme. I wish I could post a recording of the song to share with all of you. It's a narrative of the nativity that tells the story of a few of the key players and the questions around the absurdity of our King's birth.


"How can this be? A birthplace for the King?

Amid animal smells, the home of beasts of burden."



My favorite part is towards the end when there is a calling back and forth of the group and narrator:

"Glory to God in the highest!

Heaven has come to the humble

Glory to God in the highest!

Divinity mingles with dust

Glory to God in the highest!

Miracles confound the earthbound"


Glorious! I can't wait to hear it with all the instruments and the odd percussion sounds and rhythms that seem to exude from Kathy's DNA. I hope I can do it justice. Say a prayer.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

i wish i could be there! this sounds like an awesome christmas eve service! go kathy!

Marnie said...

When is the service? I would love to hear the song.

I just got my invite to Reverly. I am so excitted!

Thank you so much for the yarn. It is totaly saving my butt on last minute Christmas gifts (if I finish them on time). And the jam is way yummy. In fact, some toast with your jam is quite often the only thing I can stomach right now.