Monday, November 17, 2008

charity knitting

I've been wanting to do some charity knitting for a long time now so, thanks to Halen's prompting, I've knit up my first infant hat for Save the Children's Knit One, Save One campaign. In short, they are trying to reduce the infant mortality rate in developing countries. 4 million babies die each year in the first month of life in these countries! By educating the mothers and providing them with a newborn care kit, which includes a knitted hat, they hope to give these babies a better chance at life.

All knitters should do this! It's easy. Just go to their website. Download the action kit that includes way easy patterns, knit up a hat, write a little note to the new mom to go with it, write a letter to our president elect asking him to consider helping prevent the death of millions of newborn in developing countries, package it up, then send it by December 31st to the address listed. They do ask for a $10 donation for the kit they make up to give to new mothers, but hey, $10 is nothing for the sake of starting out a new little one in this big world.

I've been checking into some other charities, including local ones, and this seems to be a good place to start. I'll post any others I find.

Here's the hat being sent off today-- made with much love, prayers and many blessings for both babe and mother.


5 comments:

Raelynn said...

this is fabulous!!

i want to do it too. i'll get my knitting friends here to help. oh my gosh, we are so going to have a party and knit baby hats. yes.

wish you were here to join us. :)

becca said...

AWESOME!! Wish I could join you as well. I shall be with you in spirit as you knit away.

Rebecca said...

this is weird...i've been leaving comments that disappear. i left a message several hours ago that i would love to do this. i wonder what's up?

becca said...

That is weird. I have it set so I have to "approve" comments before they appear, but I haven't seen any from you to approve or deny :) ...weird...

Rebecca said...

yes, it is disconcerting. i noticed it happened on raelynn's blog about dreaming. with both yours and hers, i was the first one to comment but when i looked a day later, i had disappeared!

hhhm, maybe there are some shenanigans going on. (i'm hittin' you with my best norwegian gramma words.) or there is a rapscallion hiding behind the scenes here or perhaps a scallawag or two :)

have a lovely day!

any snow yet?????????????