Thursday, November 6, 2008

do owls eat fish?

We have a mysterious owl in our backyard. He is perched out there as I type! We've actually seen him around our little neighborhood for the past few weeks. DH first saw him about two weeks ago sitting on the power line in our backyard. I tried to get a picture of him then but of course it's dark at night and our camera is no professional. The poor bird probably suffered retinal damage from all the flashes.
The next time we saw our great friend was on an early morning walk last week. It was barely light and I saw him fly silently in front of us down a side street. For some reason I brought my camera with me, hoping to see some deer I guess, but yet again the lighting was no good.

Finally tonight when I came home from work he was back and this time sitting where I could stand under him and hopefully my flash would be bright enough...here's the eerie pictures I caught of him...



So now my question is do owls eat innocent fish? I know we've seen mice around, but he seriously looks like he's licking his chops as he sits over our pond full of innocent fish...

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

i think i see two glowing owl eyes in there?

ok, becca, check out my pitiful attempt at a blog!

http://dreamsandfibrearts.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

uh-oh, now i have accountability.....don't check every day for knitting progress just yet. i have a ministry trip to prepare for and i'm teaching again this month. maybe i need to fly you over here for lessons, tho, when things settle down!

Marnie said...

There are a lot of owl pellets under the Copperton park trees-If you dare dissect one and see if there are any fish remains.

I love the pictures.

becca said...

Hmmmm good idea...that reminds me of biology class when we HAD dissect owl pellets. Suprisingly, what seemed like a pointless skill then, would come in handy in this situation.

Anonymous said...

Nope. Owls only eat guilty fish. The ones who had it coming. ;-)