Saturday, January 24, 2009

crafty/arty/sewy/creativity room/studio

As I type this, my james is working on my new crafty/arty/sewy/creativity/ room/studio whatever you wanna call it--it's my space dedicated to creating and making! It's a birthday gift from my parents and james. I actually just wanted some basic shelving and the clutter moved out of that room (we were using it as a closet/storage area-- it's only a 8'x12' room). But with the help of birthday money from my folks and some cash I've stashed away, we were able to buy some fabulous laminate flooring on which my chair will glide effortlessly. (As of an hour ago the flooring was this awful 12"x12" tile with like 1/2" grout that my rolling chair always got stuck on, which therefore resulted in many foul words spewing from my mouth. Very frustrating.) The flooring was way on sale or it would have been low end cheap-o carpet, which was fine but the laminate is more practical for the purpose. We were also able to get some paint in a light shade of green. I wanted to go bold and colorful, but decided since there is very little natural light (only about a 10"x20" north facing window) in our basement, I didn't want to feel like I was creating in a cave. I'll make some color pops with furniture and other items. My mom and I found a great little shelf and a quilt rack in a turquoise blue at a vintage shop a few days ago that will look fabulous against the green. I think a little red or orange-y or dark brown curtain will look great, too. I'll for sure post some pictures when it's finished!

We'll be sluffing church to paint--hey it's my birthday tomororw, no need to judge :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sluffing church to paint??? I'm telling :) ha ha

oh, and by the way......... Happy birthday my friend! I hope you don't work too hard on your special day!!!

becca said...

Thanks! Don't worry, james will be doing all the hard work :)